Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Nics Mountain Pizza







Here's the much awaited recipe, be creative and have fun! The last pizza I made I used 3 cups of organic rye flour with a cup of white and the crust was heavenly! Be aware though when using more dense flours like rye that the dough will be trickier to work with, patience my dear :)

Dough:

4 C flour (I use 3 cups buckwheat or rye and 1 cup white) + flour for rolling
2 tsp yeast
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 C olive oil
1/2 tsp chipotle
1 tbsp basil (or other italian spice, whatever you prefer)
11/2 C hand hot water (you need it warm enough to activate the yeast, but
not too hot)

Sauce (use a blender to mix):

tomato paste + 1/4 C water, add as needed to blend
1/4 olive oil
2-3 or more garlic cloves
1 tbsp basil or italian spice


Toppings:

mushrooms
bacon (good to fry up while the dough rises, buy the thick sliced kind!)
red pepper (I like to roast my red pepper while my dough is rising - roast
at 400 F until browns and smells yummy!)
red onion
kale
artichoke hearts
mozzarella (I usually used 2-3 C of grated cheese)
feta (just to sprinkle on top)

What cha do:

Mix the yeast with the sugar and 1 C flour and let activate for 10-20mins.
Add yeast mixture to flour, add oil and spices and mix. If you need to, add
more water. Knead dough for 5mins. Cover with a light tea towel and let
rise for 1 hour in oven with boiling water placed in a pan below (it really
helps it rise!). I usually half the dough to make 2 pizzas and freeze one
half.

Roll out the dough, spread on the sauce and add your toppings! I like to
start with the mushrooms and a base of a bit of cheese and go down the list
from there. Bake for 20-25 mins at 400 F or until cheese begins to melt, if
you'd like crank up the heat to broil for 2-5 mins to brown the cheese!
ENJOY!!

2 comments:

  1. Hey where is the recipe for this??? It looks delicious. So I don't have an oven....can I still make it??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, no oven might make things more challenging, but with a little ingenuity Sun anything is possible! I will post this recipe soon...

    ReplyDelete